Dear Arkansas Counts Community Partners,
With the evolving spread and response plans to the coronavirus disease (Covid-19), we understand there are questions around how this may impact U.S. Census Bureau operations, census stakeholder outreach, and communities that have been historically missed in the census. Arkansas Counts hopes this note provides helpful insight on the impact of the virus on census outreach.
Complete the Census TODAY
This is a great time to elevate the ways to complete the census survey without interacting with people during the self-response phase. As we previously announced, the U.S. Census Bureau form is now available, and there are three easy ways to respond to the 2020 U.S. Census from the comfort of your home:
- Online at My2020Census.gov
- By phone at 844-330-2020 (English) — click here for a list of phone numbers in different languages
- By returning the paper questionnaire (mailed soon)
Get Out the Count
We encourage you to connect with your local community leaders, state officials, and organizational leadership on any changes to your outreach plans. However, given that many cities and localities are asking for people to limit the number of large gatherings and many events are being cancelled, we wanted to share some ideas for ways you can potentially divert your resources to still reach your communities:
- Use email, social media, and other online forms of communication to tell 20 family members, friends, and fellow residents to complete the census form online.
- Instead of tabling in-person, use that time to phone bank or text bank with members of your community. Linked here are pledge cards you can download and share via email, on your website, and on social media.
- Ensure there are flyers, posters, and materials at grocery stores, community centers, clinics, and other essential locations. Click here to access our printable communication materials in English and Spanish.
We encourage everyone to use your best judgement in determining changes to your on-the-ground strategies. If you have creative ideas you wish to share, feel free to send them to me as others may want to replicate your strategies. It’s always good to ensure you have a plan B or backup plan when it comes to outreach so you can quickly shift and still Get Out the Count.
Our Arkansas Counts outreach partners will continue to monitor ongoing discussions with the U.S. Census Bureau and stay up-to-date on operational changes. We are always happy to talk through ways to shift tactics if you are looking for anything specific.
Kara Wilkins, Coordinator, Arkansas Counts